Apple releases tvOS 16 to the public
Apple today released tvOS 16, the latest version of the tvOS operating system available for Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.
The tvOS 16 update can be downloaded through the Settings app on Apple TV by going to “System” -> “Software update.” If you have automatic software updates enabled, your Apple TV will automatically upgrade to tvOS 16.
tvOS 16 updates typically contain far fewer new features than we see in iOS or macOS updates, and tvOS 16 is no exception.
The update brings game controller support for Nintendo Joy-Cons and the Nintendo Pro Controller. When Apple’s Matter finally launches, the Apple TV with tvOS 16 installed will support it and provide improved interoperability between smart home accessories from different companies.
tvOS 16 also brings multi-device connectivity, a feature that allows developers to integrate Apple TV apps with iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch apps to unlock new experiences on Apple TV.
Multi-user profiles have been enhanced through the use of a shared keychain, which means users won’t need to sign in and choose their profile when launching an Apple TV app.
Other more minor changes and improvements in tvOS 16 are:
- New SwiftUI elements that developers can take advantage of in their own apps.
- Users can now add additional family members in Control Center
- New rich previews for Apple TV+ content to boost discovery
- Intensity levels are now displayed onscreen in Apple Fitness+ workouts, with levels ranging from “easy” to “all-inclusive”.
- New toggle for 24 hour or 12 hour time formats.
- A new Hover Text option in Accessibility